The Bullitt County History Museum

It Happened in 1922

Over the years, Charles Hartley has shared glimpses of what was being printed in The Pioneer News in different months and years. This page includes what was taken from the issues of 1922.

January 1922

The County School Board selected J. T. Harris, of Mt. Washington as Chairman and E. Z. Wiggington as Vice Chairman. Mr. H. M. Trunnell and Mr. Emerson Welch were sworn in for 4 years by Mr. Lindsay Ridgway.

Thomas L. Mattingly, who represented the lower section of the county, was the son of the late Wat Mattingly and had many relatives in the county. He was married, had one son, and had served on the school board longer than any of the other members.

E. Z. Wiggington, next oldest in point of service, was born at Mt. Washington and educated at Bardstown. He lived on a farm near Hebron, was married and had several children.

J. T. Harris was born and reared near Mt. Washington, and was considered the one who looked after the financial part of the schools. He signed all checks of every kind. He was a son of the late William Harris, whose seven sons were among the leading men of that section. He was married to Hettie Ridgway Harris, a former teacher.

H. M. Trunnell, son of Col. Neil Trunnell, had just been elected on the board by a large popular vote for 4 years. He never missed a single meeting during the 8 years he represented the Leaches section of the county.

Emerson Welch, the youngest man on the Board, both in age and point of service, was elected last fall for a term of four years. He hailed from Pine Tavern and was born in the Pitts Point section.

S. G. Thornberry of Mt. Washington, a local insurance agent, was on his way to Frankfort to represent Bullitt and Spencer counties in the General Assembly. This was his second trip, having been there in 1918 as well.

A party was given by Miss Hazel Dell Trunnell at the home of her parents in Shepherdsville. Present were Evelyn Adams, Dorothy Maraman, Anise Smith, Mary and Hattie Mae Buckman, Kathrine and Etta Nusz, Hazel Livers, Ruth Thompson, Lena Patterson, Elnora Glenn, Helen Burkholder, Willie Mae Ridgway, Fronie James. Gentlemen at the party were Linton Weller, Curtis Smith, Bud Combs, Jerome Monroe, Walter Livers, Clarence Stansberry, Pat Pope, Roy Thompson, Pat Cruise, Robert and Brooks Tyler, Orbie Lee Masden, Charles and Theo Combs, Sam Ridgway, Robert Hays Simmons, along with Dr. and Mrs. S. H. Ridgway.

The Hebron correspondent reported that Paul Holsclaw spent the New Year in Chicago. He enjoyed his stay in the windy city, but would make his next visit in a milder season.

Judge J. A. Shelton performed his first marriage ceremony. The couple were Ben Roby and Blanche Greenwell of Leaches.

And out Pleasant Grove way, Marvin Stallings went to the woods to cut timber and carried his dinner and hung it up in a little sapling. At noon, he went back to eat his lunch, some one had eaten and emptied the dinner pail, so Mr. Stallings worked all the afternoon without dinner as it was too far to go home.

February 1922

The paper contained numerous death notices and reports of illness. One example stated, "Phillip, little son of Mr. and Mrs. Genus Crenshaw, died of pneumonia following influenza and measles. He was buried here last Saturday at a brief funeral by Rev. E. D. Ryan."

As we make our way through the current pandemic, remembering that the effects of the 1918 Spanish Flu pandemic lingered into the early 1920s should give us pause, and encourage us to do whatever we can to hasten its end.

We read the obituary of Clara Hughes Newman, wife of John Newman of near Bardstown Junction. She had moved here from England about 30 years earlier and reared a fine family seven children that included the late Elizabeth Chapeze, wife of Ben Chapeze, and Arthur Newman who would die in 1929, leaving his wife Thelma, and two daughters Sarah and Clara.

The Fiscal Court met and let the poor farm to Charles Harris for a year. He was to receive his and his family’s board and $300 per year to take care of the paupers.

In the latest diploma examination, 35 of 41 students passed, led by Mildred Beeler of Lebanon Junction and Hazel Funk of Cupio. They will be entering high school in the fall.

Out at Belmont, "the many friends of Gilbert Bradbury, Tad Murray, Lee Logsdon and Clyde Elmer Roby were glad to hear of their good luck in passing to High School."

Mack Jones, Jr., better known as Jack Jones, was giving up delivering the Louisville newspapers as delivering the papers made him tired, and didn't pay enough to buy a pair of second handed brass toed shoes.

In the Personals column, the editor wrote, "Gussie Swearingen, the elongated clerk at Troutman Bros. Store, works in the day time like a house afire, but at night he becomes a regular parlor ornament. Just as soon as the somber shadows of night close about him, he changes clothes and goes to see his best girl."

George Bowman sold his store at Salt River to Mr. and Mrs. Len Daugherty, who were planning to continue running it as a general store.

Following the holidays, a number of Bullitt County young people were heading off to college, including G. L. Bridwell, Elizabeth Cash, Mary Weller, Mable Snellen, Neva Magruder, Estelle Landers, Willie Mae Ridgway and several others who entered school at Bowling Green.

The Hebron correspondent wrote, "Miss Elizabeth Bailey deserves the prize for regular attendance at S.S. She has not missed a day in almost nine years. She attends Hebron and at Christmas was presented a pin in recognition of 8 years attendance."

And she also wrote, "Mrs. J. C. Gardner has a very attractive new residence with modern improvements, electic lights, etc, but to us who have spent so many happy hours in the old home with the Summers family, it seems tragic to see it abandoned with all its hallowed memories."

March 1922

The March 3rd issue of the paper reported, "The fire here last week destroyed nearly $100,000.00 worth of property with insurance of less than half of this amount. The heaviest losers are: Boes, Hall, Ice, Patterson, Weatherford, Armstrong, Tuckers, Smith and Co., Lutes & Co." According to the paper, the only walls left standing in that part of town were the old brick walls of the first jail Bullitt County built over 115 years earlier. A couple of weeks later, the paper reported, "The old brick walls left standing after the fire have been pushed down by the boys and the last of Bullitt’s first jail is about gone."

To learn more about a series of destructive files that destroyed many Shepherdsville buildings in the 1920s, visit the History Museum website and search for "Shepherdsville Fires in the 1920's."

A Shepherdsville High girls' basketball team made up of Beulah Lee, Janice Harned, Mary B. Hill, Thelma Hatfield and Martha Hill defeated a strong Louisville team 8-7.

Gabe Summers, Charles Bradbury, Ray Walker, James Stallings, Perry Mumford Jr., Patrick Pope, Robert Simmons, Brooks Tyler, and Hobart Roby traveled to Lexington for a basketball tournament. They split the two games they played.

Dr. George Barrall wrote to the paper telling of meeting Abram and Neal Brooks at a Kansas City automobile show. They were representing Mercury Body for Fords that was made by Ellsworth McCormick, another Bullitt County man.

H. G. Elliott, of near Brooks, had a ewe to give birth to four lambs, all of which lived. After they were about 8 days old, he took two of them and will raise them on a bottle.

Jack Morrison, who made his home at Bardstown Junction for several years, sold his home there and with his family moved to his farm a few miles below Belmont. He was the father of Jimmy Morrison who died in the 1917 Shepherdsville train wreck.

Dr. J. G. Dodds, a well known physician of the county and a trustee in the Bardstown Junction school, sold his house and lot and moved to Ohio where he would engage in farming. His property was purchased by Attorney A. E. Funk of Brooks. Dr. Dodds was also aboard the train in 1917 and sustained serious injuries.

Hattie Haskell, a Louisville nurse, came home to Solitude to care for her brother J. V. Rouse and his wife, both of whom were ill with the flu.

Sam Ridgway of Shepherdsville was elected captain of the 1923 University of Kentucky basketball team at a meeting of the five letter men. Ridgway, guard on the Wildcat squad in 1920 and 1921, was a member of the team that won the Southern championship.

And Rev. W. B. Gwynn wrote to the paper's editor requesting to extend his subscription four more years for he was "deeply interested in the welfare of all those with whom I was ever so closely identified." Rev. Gwynn had started The Pioneer News some 40 years earlier, the first newspaper in Bullitt County. He was also the professor at Pitts Point. You can read more about him and his brothers by visiting the History Museum website and searching for "The Brothers Gwynn."

April 1922

Misses Evelyn Adams and Dorothy Maraman entertained with an informal dance. Present were Misses Hattie Buckman, Etta Nusz, Clara Johnson, Mary Buckman, Eleana Glenn, Ada Buckman, Hazel Dell Trunnell, Ophelia Masden, Wanda Adams, and Messrs James Stallings, Clarence Stallings, Gabe Summers, Charles Lee Bradbury, Orbra Lee Masden, Robert Hays Simmons, Curtis Smith, Brooks Tyler, Pat Pope, Robert Tyler, Jerome Monroe, Theodore Combs, Bill Griffin, and Golden Hall.

The School Board elected the following teachers for the fall session: Nichols - Christina Armstrong, Shades - Margaret Chambers, Woodland - Tom Stallings, Licks - Willie Quick, Mt. Elmira - Aldena Barrall, Hebron - Miss Magruder, Brooks - Evelyn Sutton, Zoneton - Meta R. Cooper, Sugar Valley - Elizabeth Cash, Glades - E. Nora Bridwell, Pleasant Hill - Mabel Snellen, Victory - Ruth Crenshaw, Woodsdale - Mary Weller, Hobbs - Elizabeth Vittitoe, Clermont - Thelma Daugherty, Glen Ella - Willie Mae Ridgway, Pitts Point - Beulah Lee, Hays - Mary Stallings, Cane Run - Ida Mae Greenwell, Harned - Ruby Houck, Mt. Carmel - Ruth Murray, Culver - Janice Harned, Oak Grove - Mary Crenshaw, County-Substitute - Hewitt Harned.

The usual suspects were drafted to serve on the Circuit Court petit jury. They included Frank Carpenter, Pearl King, Fred Bogard, N. J. Cundiff, Charles Nelson, J. L. Quick, Charles Burns, Ed Owens, Stoney Weller, R. W. Childers, R. B. Hall, Ambrose Skinner, John Greenwell, W. T. Jenkins, S. O. Armstrong, Jim Taylor, Buck Close , I. T. Mudd, Lee Barger, Albert Armstrong, W. P. Foster, Lee Bolton, J. H. Shelton, Charles Starks, Virgil Hibbs, Albert Fisher, Burr Gentry, Joe Dawson, Henry Davis, and Virgil Duvall.

That was after O. P. Means, the grand jury foreman, and his cohorts James King, Lowell Hall, Arthur Ice, Ambrose Ridgway, George B. Herps, J. C. Thornton, S. S. Barger, John Adams, Basil Scott, Robert Shanklin, and W. A. Cook had approved all the charges.

The paper reported that as Misses Berle, Ernestine and Dorothy Hall were on their way to school at Shepherdsville one morning, the pony they were driving became frightened as it passed Wax Simmons’ place and ran away, upsetting their buggy. Fortunately, none of them were hurt, although Miss Berle’s clothing was badly torn as she was thrown against a wire fence. Ouch!

In Mt. Washington, Mrs. C. O. Parrish opened her millinery store at her home and had a lovely new line of goods on display.

Also, Lee McArthur and Frank Parrish, of Louisville, spent the weekend with Paxton Parrish. Frank said he was tired of city life and will try the country again.

The Pleasant Grove correspondent reported on the death of "Aunt Axie" Stallings at the age of 82. She had always been industrious and a good neighbor. She left a son, John Stallings and five grandchildren; also a sister, Mrs. Tillman Ridgway.

The correspondent for the column titled "On the Mt. Washington Road" wrote that J. D. Hough had spent a weekend with his daughter, Mrs. Rosa Simmons; that Mrs. Jane Hall was having a new hen house erected; and that Robert Sanders lost a horse the previous week.

And in the Personals column, we learned that Dr. Ridgway spent a weekend in Lexington, and that Colonel Billy Preston, considered the ladies man of Clermont, visited from Chapeze.

May 1922

Students at the Shepherdsville school performed a play titled "Irish Stew." Among those who participated were Rodger Alford, Mildred Hagan, Pat Cruise, Orville Jenkins, Willowdean Froman, Louise Shelton, Minnie Mae Combs, Onnie Magruder, W. T. Whitman and Lena Patterson. The play was under the supervision of Miss Amy Rose Troxler.

In the Pleasant Grove column, we read that "The Proctor truck took to market last week a bunch of hogs for Will Bleemel and two calves, one for T. H. Wise and one for Elbert Bass." The columnist also wrote that Jasper Hall was still suffering with rheumatism.

The paper mentioned that C. P. J. Mooney, managing editor of a Memphis, Tennessee newspaper was in town and briefly visited his Bardstown Junction farm. Mooney was a son of John Francis Mooney, the ancestor of our fine county clerk.

The paper reported that John Boes awarded the contract for the erection of his new store house to the firm of Jenkins and Essex of Elizabethtown, the same firm that was building the Bullitt County Bank Building.

They wrote, "Mr. Boes will have a splendid building. It will be of brick, fifty feet in length, two stories high. The contract price is $5,713.00. Work will begin on it at once and will be pushed to completion just as soon as possible."

His store was one of the buildings burned in the February fire that swept part of town.

The May 12th issue of the paper reported that the Corinth school was being abolished. They reported that its students would move to the Nichols school, and that a truck would run from the old Greenup Miller farm to Nichols, and W. S. Pauley and others were trying to raise funds to run a wagon from Briar Creek to Nichols.

In early May, Ella Mae McAllister celebrated her 12th birthday with the following friends: Frances Cruise, Inez Bergen, Ruby Bergen, Mildred Bergen, Christine Stansbury, Myrtle Ruth Stansbury, Catherine Triplett, Lucille Triplett, Amelia Elizabeth Hoagland, Grace Morrison, Julia Coniff, Grace Magruder, Mary Owens, Ruth Owens, Minnie Lee Shaw, Anna Mae Lynch and Blanche Stansbury.

The paper bragged about the fine students coming out of the Shepherdsville School, and named the following as examples: Chester Hardin went to the U. S. Naval Academy; John Glenn went to the University of Virginia; Samuel Ridgway to State College; Joseph Blankenship at Centre College; Misses Mary Stallings and Elizabeth Weller to State College; Muir Funk and Tom Trunnell to Georgetown and Robert Tyler to State College. The paper praised Professor Jack Sanders and his splendid teachers for the school's accomplishments.

The paper went on to name that year's high school graduates. They included Lena Patterson, Mary Buckman, Ruth Crews, Lillian Daugherty, Frances McAllister, Julia Ashe, Mary Blanche Hill, Ruth Patterson, Beryl Hall, Brooks Tyler, Gabe Summers, Curtis Smith, Morrison Ward and James Stallings.

And the highest honors in the 1922 class at Lebanon Junction went to Barrett Murray, the oldest son of Dr. B. A. Murray and Tillie Hedge Murray. The paper described him as "an athlete of no mean ability and a very promising young man in every way."

June 1922

William H. Hays Jr., a prominent farmer and former representative of Hardin County in the legislature, died at his home in Shepherdsville. He was a brother to the late Thomas Hays, former lieutenant governor. He was survived by his widow, Mrs. Kate Hays; two sons Bradford and William; and three daughters, all of Bullitt County, Mrs. J. B (Nannie) Rouse, Mrs. Henry (Hallie) Hamilton, and Mrs. Robert (Clara) Simmons. His family had moved to Bullitt County a quarter century earlier.

James W. Thompson, 82, suffered a stroke while sitting on his front porch, and never regained consciousness. Known by folks around as "Neighbor Thompson," he was born in Bullitt County in 1839, and married Martha Jane Friddle in 1859. His survivors included Phil Thompson, Mrs. Kate Lutes, E. B. Thompson, Mrs. Fronie Samuels, Mrs. Augustine Foster, and Lillian Thompson.

Mrs. Janie Chappell Masden, wife of Roy L. Masden, died at her home near Tappan in Bullitt County after a lingering illness. She was a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Thomas C. Chappell, born on Chappell's Ridge in lower Bullitt in 1893. Surviving her were her husband, their son Roy Jr., a brother Joseph C. Chappell, and a sister Mrs. C. E. Rogers.

And the people of Leaches District were shocked to learn of the shooting death of Lee Middleton. He was born in Bullitt County in 1875, and married Daisy Crenshaw in 1900. Dr. J. H. Shafer, Coroner of Bullitt County, empaneled a jury that decided he had been shot by someone unknown.

The local police force captured Joe Gilbert and Roscoe Tucker with 80 gallons of "white mule" which was dumped in the river. At trial, Gilbert was found guilty, but appealed to a higher court; Tucker's jury was hung, and the case against him was dropped.

John Glenn, one of the past "prize scholars" of Shepherdsville High School, was home visiting from the University of Virginia where he stood near the top of his class. He planned to remain home for a bit to earn money to continue his education, and was clerking at the Maraman store.

The original plaster on the old Bullitt County Bank was being done by the sons of Ike Edmondson, a former resident of Bullitt County.

Miss Inez Kirk was married to Solomon Neill Brooks Jr. at her home near Hebron.

The editor wrote "The contract for hauling school children from J. L. Quick’s to Shades and from Barrallton to Nichols has just been given to James Marcum and A. A. McKinley. Mr. Marcum has had this work for several years and has given good service to his community while Mr. McKinley is a citizen of the right type for looking after young folks and we are fully satisfied both routes will be well looked after."

And there were a lot of proud papas strutting around and passing out cigars, including Golden Hodge, Martin Polly, John Greer, Milton Warren, Stonewall Tinnell, Ralph Cundiff, Leonard Daugherty, Elmer Welch, and Professor Jack Sanders.

July 1922

The death of Lee Middleton, that we mentioned last month, led the second coroner's jury to conclude that the evidence showed he had been killed by someone else. Then later in the month, William Murion was charged with the crime. However, in a December Circuit Court trial he was found not guilty.

The newspaper reported, "Two school wagons will be run this year to haul school children to Nichols. Mr. A. A. McKinley will run a big motor truck from the Henry Able farm, which will completely abolish the Corinth district, while Mr. W. S. Paulley will run a wagon from Weavers Run section by Stites and bring in all the pupils living on the county border line."

Jackson Morrison and his wife Minnie suffered a second loss in less than a decade when their litte two-year-old daughter Verna drowned in a farm pond. They had lost their son Jimmy in the 1917 Shepherdsville train wreck.

Besides the larger schools in the county's three towns, and the three small segregated schools for black children, there were 30 small community schools scattered across Bullitt County. The school column listed the names of all the teachers who would be leading those schools in the new school year. They included Beech Grove - Blanche Cundiff, Brooks - Evelyn Hardy, Cane Run - Ida P. Hicks, Cedar Grove - Fay Magruder, Clermont - Lula Cook & Thelma Daugherty, Culver - Janice Harned, Glades - Nora Bridwell, GreenBriar - Mary Powell, Harned - Ruby Houck, Hays - Mary Stallings, Hebron - Neva Magruder & sister, Hobbs - Elizabeth Vittitoe, Licks - Willie Quick, Mt. Carmel - Ruth Murray, Mt. Elmira - Aldena Barrall, Mt. Olive - Sallie Self, Needmore - Rosetta Woods, Nichols - Mary Weller & Christina Armstrong, Oak Grove - Mary B. Crenshaw, Pitts Point - Ida M. Greenwell, Pleasant Grove - Mable Snellen, Shades - H. Q. Harned, Sugar Valley - Elizabeth Cash, Sunny Side - Martha Hornbeck, Victory - Ruth Crenshaw, Whitfield - Sylvia Phelps, Woodlawn - Tom Stallings, Woodsdale - Margaret Combs, Zion - Ella Hardy, and Zoneton - Meta R. Cooper.

Miss Fronia James held the lucky No. 938 at the Red Men’s Picnic July 4th and won the new Ford which was given away. Miss Fronia says she is now looking for a nice young man to drive the auto. (She was Nancy Strange's aunt, and about age 60 in 1922.)

Louis Stottman Jr. and Miss Ophilia Bivens, along with Miss Lillian Stottman and Taylor Perkins gave their friends the slip the 4th of July and crossed over the river to Jeffersonville and were married.

A group from the Methodist Church in Shepherdsville motored to Shawnee Park in Louisville for a picnic outing. They included Misses Mary E. Powell, Mary Palmer Combs, Margaret Combs, Ethel Mae Cochrane, Carolyn Hackney, Minnie Mae Combs, Ruby Peak, Pauline Peak, Mary Grace Peak, Elizabeth Weller, Lillian Thompson, Margaret Farris, Zollie Swearingen and Mrs. Dove Troutman; as well as the following gentlemen: C. F. Troutman, Charles Ashby, Gussie Swearingen, Thos. Stallings, Theodore Combs, George Peak, O. W. Pearl, Howard Joyce, and Thomas Hackney. Rev. and Mrs. D. R. Peak were chaperones.

And for those who remember schools without air-conditioning, you can appreciate a July comment from one correspondent. "Miss Meta Cooper has opened school at Beech Grove. Poor children! Poor teacher! Dog Days!"

August 1922

In a big announcement about the upcoming Bullitt County Fair, the fair officers were named: Frank Bell, President; Henry Shafer, Vice President; H. H. Combs, Treasurer; and J. W. Barrall, Secretary.

Miss Edna Brooks entertained her Sunday School class with a picnic at Brooks Run Bridge.

Chester Hill of Chapeze advertised about 5,000 good tobacco sticks that he would sell cheap.

Charles and Margaret (Hardesty) Daniel, two graduates of Shepherdsville High School, were on their way back to Florida where Charles was the head of a school in Homestead.

C. P. J. Mooney Jr. of Memphis was the guest of friends in Bullitt County this week. He was on his way to Chicago and stopped over at the Mooney farm at Bardstown Junction for a few days.

Ben Magruder's barn, out near Deatsville, was destroyed by a bolt of lightning.

Following cases in Bullitt Quarterly Court, W. R. Brents' Ford touring car and Joe Gilbert's Hudson were both sold at auction by Sheriff A. L. Roby. Seems both had been used to transport illegal intoxicating spirits.

A. R. Fiedler advertised, "I am now making Pure Ice at my New Ice Factory in Lebanon Junction. Small or large orders filled promptly. Special rates for full blocks and over; can fill orders for any amount."

The Hebron correspondent reported that Mary C. Holsclaw, Ethel Prather and Imogene Cooper would soon return from Bowling Green where they were in school. They wrote to her that Professor Sanders was a very popular man at the Normal School.

In Pleasant Grove news, J. W. Lloyd and wife were guests of Will King near Mt. Washington; Mrs. Matt Bleemel and son spent a day with her sister, Mrs. Will Gentry of Bethel; and Ollie Harding and family spent a Sunday with her sister, Mrs. Will Buffin of Bethel.

The paper announced the death of P. H. Quick, a local farmer. He died at his home about two miles southwest of Salt River Station. He left a wife, two sons, Otha Quick of Lebanon Junction, and George Quick of Ohio, three brothers, Johnathan Quick of Nebraska, and Thomas and E. G. Quick of Bullitt County.

Mrs. Sue Rummage reported losing a double case gold watch at the fairgrounds.

The week before the fair, Jess and Stella (Daniel) Buky and family, and Mack Weller and wife returned to town for a visit from Florida and were well received by former neighbors.

And Col. J. E. Magruder, former member of the County School Board, installed a radio receiving station in his Salt River store and got everything from the Courier-Journal broadcasting station from a jazz musical number to a real sermon by Dr. Welch. This was probably the first receiving station in the County.

September 1922

In Judge Shelton's court, several bootleggers and whiskey haulers paid some pretty heavy fines. J. H. Harris was fined last week $200.00 cost and 30 days in jail while Will Davis paid over $430.00 in costs, fines, etc. Deacon Jim Collings was foreman of the first jury, while the second jury was composed of H. A. Cundiff, foreman, J. E. Smith, P. T. Mumford, Charles Johnson, Embra Deacon and J. H. Boes. The arrests were made by Cundiff and Showalters at the Salt River Bridge.

Home of Old Grand Dad

Perhaps as many as 15 thieves surrounded the Old Grand Dad Distillery at Hobbs, bound and hoodwinked Mr. Head, the superintendent, William Hodge, the distillery watchman, and William F. Joyce, the government guard. After securing all hands, the plunderers then loaded a big truck with about a hundred cases of choice liquors which had been bottled, cut all telephone wires leading to this place and elsewhere and made their escape.

Mr. and Mrs. Ewing Crenshaw entertained with a birthday dance in honor of their niece's birthday, Miss Ollie Lee Maraman. Those present were Misses Kathryn M. Duncan of Louisville, Margaret E. Hughes, Texia Swearingen, Elizabeth Magruder of Deatsville, Lovena Kulmer, Blanche Weller, Violetta Thompson, Ruth Crenshaw, Mildred Hagan, Ophelia Masden, Julia Weller, Gladys Masden and Ollie Lee Maraman, Messrs Orbra Lee Masden, Paul D. Roby, Otis Magruder and Harry Houck of Deatsville, Nathan Hughes, J. E. Hagan Jr., Clifford Bolton, Norman Bridwell, W. A. Roby and Wayne Harris of Cox's Creek, Robert Barger and Hugo Maraman. Sounds like a grand time was had by all.

Some one broke into the Shepherdsville school building after school closed for the summer and stole most all the books to the amount of over $200.00. Professor Sanders got busy and went to all the second handed stores in Louisville and finally locating them on Jefferson Street between 3rd and 4th. He had some mighty good information and it was hoped arrests would soon be made.

The Shepherdsville School opened with 115 students including 24 seniors. They included Dorothy Samuels, Ruby Bowman, Lillian Roney, Rosalie McKinnie, Pauline Crenshaw, Evelyn Adams, Audley Hatfield, Katherine Taylor, Thelma Masden, Mary Triplett, Lora Mae Deacon, Elizabeth Ray Harned, Mary Engle, Alice Pope, Jerome Monroe, Charles Lee Bradbury, Crumbacker Jenkins, Stanley Muir, Linton Weller, Clarence Stansbury, Kenneth Bailey, Vernon Quick, Ray Walker and Hewitt Harned.

And the services at the laying of the corner stone of the new Baptist Church (Mt. Washington) drew a large crowd to the town Sunday afternoon. Several pastors of nearby churches were present. Rev.Frazier, of Louisville, made the principal address. The two quartets by Rev. W. S. Coakley, Messrs W. D. Swearingen, C. A. Porter and Edgar Fisher were fine. Among the different articles placed in the stone were pictures of the oldest and youngest member, the deacons etc., also of Mrs. Sara McGee Fox, who was a member of this church before her marriage to Herman J. Fox, going to Japan as a Missionary from the Church of Christ.

October 1922

Miss Mary B. Hill, the popular young teacher at Pleasant Grove gave her pupils an ice cream supper at that place on a Saturday afternoon and evening.

The residence of Mrs. Minnie Maraman was destroyed by fire one night. Mr. John Saar, who was living in the residence, saved part of their furniture.

Out Bullitt's Lick way J. P. McDaniel and Bates McDaniel were building Ott Saddler’s new house, which would soon be completed.

Bullitt County Bank

In the Personals column we learned that Samuel Ridgway returned to State University after being at home for several days with a broken ankle; and that Miss Hazeldelle Trunnell entered school at the Conservatory of Music in Louisville.

The editor wrote, "The big cistern at the new building erected by the Bullitt County Bank has been completed, the furniture and fixtures have been placed in position and Harry Combs and his assistants are almost ready to move into their splendid new quarters. With heat, light and water in every room and numerous other accommodations, this latest acquisition to our business houses is one of the best in the entire county. No other town of the size of Shepherdsville can boast of a prettier, better building."

Frank Goldsmith and Gibb Daugherty, who left to spend the winter in Florida, returned home. They said the mosquitos there were like horse flies and ten times as bad.

The large residence of Mrs. A. E. Funk, at Brooks, burned to the ground on a Sunday night. The fire was discovered about 10:30 and before anyone arrived, it was in such headway that nothing but the piano and one or two things were saved.

In school news, we read that the school at Clermont was progressing well and was one of the most excellent school plants to be found in any rural community. Two acres of level play ground, two rooms and two wide awake young teachers in charge: Miss Lula Cook and Miss Thelma Daugherty.

Another two room rural school that was well up to the standard was the Hebron school which had Mr. W. T. Whitman as trustee. In equipment and general school spirit, it was one of the county’s best and with the exception of Glen Ella had the largest per cent of their pupils in High School of any county district. It was in charge of Miss Neva Magruder, who had taught in this same school for several years and her sister, Miss Fay Magruder.

The Pleasant Grove correspondent had several things to share. She wrote that John Whitledge and Clay Whitledge were in the city the previous week with a bunch of hogs; that Will Gentry was sinking a well for Ed Bridwell; that Ima Armstrong had entered high school at Shepherdsville the previous week; and that S. O. Armstrong lost a fine heifer.

James Beghtol, a popular fruit grower of Brooks, came to town driving a new Ford, showing that the fruit men were in good shape.

Peachie Thompson

Hugo Rouse, who had only a few days earlier bought the insurance business from Mr. O. W. Pearl, sold it to Jack Howerton. In related business, Gabe Bealmear was taking charge of the Bullitt County Garage and Light Plant; and Mr. Rouse was devoting all his time to the lumber business. Then, in the next issue of the paper, we read, "Frank Goldsmith has bought the Garage and Light Plant back and is now in his old place again."

And Miss Peachie Thompson was appointed Circuit Clerk for this county. She was the first lady to hold the office. The editor wrote, "She is a bright young lady and her many friends are glad to see her in the office."

November 1922

Bullitt County teachers Jennie Carpenter, Zardetti Dawson, Mary Dawson, Ruth Crenshaw, Bertha E. Engle, Janice Harned, Pearl Rush, Frank Harned, J. H. Sanders, Ora L. Roby and others attended the 4th Congressional Teachers Association which met this year at Elizabethtown.

O. W. Pearl, former Circuit Court Clerk here for many years, former teacher, and one of the county’s best known men left here last week for Florida where he will make his home.

Emerson Welch and Leslie Ice bought the Robert Ice truck line and were then ready and willing to do all kinds of hauling at reasonable rates.

Mildred Beeler, Fannie Essex, Francis Osborne and Anne Lee Bandy were on the high school honor roll at Lebanon Junction.

Martha Lee, Janice Harned, Beulah Lee, Willie Mae Ridgway, Mary Blanche Hill and Rosetta Woods, teachers and former pupils at the Shepherdsville school organized a basketball team for the winter. They planned to play the local team and several city teams.

The citizens of Shepherdsville elected the following on the Town Board: J. E. Chappell, Nick Hall, Will Cook, L. N. Patterson and John H. Boes.

While cleaning out a well on his farm last week, Henry D. Shafer found a half pint bottle full of bond whiskey, which had been dropped into the well twelve years before. Wonder how long it lasted?

On a Monday night, the families of the Hebron neighborhood united in giving Mr. and Mrs. G. W. Wuthrich, residing in Presbyterian manse, a unique surprise. A goodly number of laying hens were put upon the roost and a number of other articles placed on the pantry shelves.

Horace Dawson near Pitts Point, James H. Wallace on Preston Pike near the county line, and Elmer Welch on Pitts Point Road each advertised that they were quitting farming and selling their farms.

Elmer Ridgway, trustee at Cupio for many years, spent a Monday in town. He reported that his successor, W. S. Paulley was having a good school at Cupio, but that he was not in the best of health and might be forced to go West for a few months.

C. P. Bradbury, 1905

Mrs. Anna Bell Holsclaw, of Zoneton, a former teacher of this county and a well known writer and scholar spent a day with relatives and friends.

Fire started near the old Shepherd place and burned over most of the hills west of Knob Creek, destroying thousands of dollars worth of timber. The fire burned for about 8 days and was not checked till the rain came.

A large crowd was in town, it being County Court day. Several cases were tried and the will of Mrs. F. A. Heiser was admitted to be probated, while the will of Mrs. Babbitt was set for an early hearing in the June court.

Mr. Albert Eisenminger, had been interested in the subject of oil since he purchased a farm here and spent much time and money having geologists make observations.

And Judge C. P. Bradbury was a candidate for Circuit Judge in the next election. He was well known in the county. For four years, he was Superintendent of Schools, and then served his county as County Attorney and this was followed by four years as County Judge.

December 1922

Lebanon Junction Fourth Graders Maggie Hart, Pauline Basham, Kathryn Bowman, Helen Carpenter, Virginia Raney, Lena K. Roby, Amy Chaddic, Edna Kappel, Fred Shuffitt, William Sweat and Leo Bowman all made the honor roll.

Mr. and Mrs. Lee Harris of the Victory community entertained Ruth Crenshaw, Violetta Thompson, Texia Swearingen, Eva Mae and Mary Jones, Clifford Bolton, Vern Jones, Elmer Crenshaw, Randolph Porter, Curtis Ratcliff, Leroy Harris, Marshall Porter, Rouse Jones, Dave Shaw, Virgil Roby and Arthur Harris.

The Shepherdsville town basketball team included Ralph Henderson, Charles Ashby, Jerome Monroe, Henry Buckman, Roger Wiggington and George Wiggington.

Rev. Hilary Burns conducted the funeral of Mrs. Katie Samuels Barrall, wife of L. M. Barrall, and daughter of Charles R. and Mary E. Samuels. She was survived by her husband, mother, son Dr. George M. Barrall of Kansas City, and daughter Miss Josie Barrall.

Rena Shaw of Mt. Washington wrote to Santa asking for a doll with brown eyes. She also reminded him that her cousins Lillian King and Virginia Grigsby would be at her house so he should bring their toys there.

In other letters to Santa, William Wallace Armstrong wanted a pair of gum boots, Fronia Crenshaw a pair of gloves and a box of candy, Goldia May Owen a wrist watch, Ada Florence Noe some candy, nuts and fruit, and Henry Lewis a wagon and little ax.

J. W. Smith of Brooks had a fresh cow and calf for sale, extra good grade, that he would sell at a reasonable price.

C. H. Kurtsinger was selling his farm, livestock, tools etc. as he was quitting farming. His place was about 225 acres located two miles from Pitts Point.

Another farm for sale was that of Elmer Welch located on Pitts Point Road.

Mrs. Willie C. Quick, the popular teacher at the Licks, fixed a hot soup lunch every day for her students. The parents were happy to provide the necessary vegetables which beat cold lunches in the wintertime.

Miss Jennie Carpenter, a prominent local teacher, had been on the sick list, but was much improved and able to be out again.

G. S. Patterson had his two new houses about completed on Second Street in Shepherdsville.

Mrs. J. H. Sanders was having a sale of hand made scarfs, centerpieces etc at her home.

The jury in the case of Will Marran for killing Lee Middleton returned a verdict of not guilty.

Fannie Belle McCubbins, age 21, died of pneumonia. The daughter of Frank and Sophia Raley, she was survived by her husband John, two daughters Iris Louise and Sara Aileen, her parents, and nine siblings.

And Roy Maraman and C. F. Troutman attended the Shriners banquet.

Copyright 2022 by Charles Hartley, Shepherdsville KY. All rights are reserved. No part of the content of this page may be included in any format in any place without the written permission of the copyright holder.

The Bullitt County History Museum, a service of the Bullitt County Genealogical Society, is located in the county courthouse at 300 South Buckman Street (Highway 61) in Shepherdsville, Kentucky. The museum, along with its research room, is open 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Friday. Saturday appointments are available by calling 502-921-0161 during our regular weekday hours. Admission is free. The museum, as part of the Bullitt County Genealogical Society, is a 501(c)3 tax exempt organization and is classified as a 509(a)2 public charity. Contributions and bequests are deductible under section 2055, 2106, or 2522 of the Internal Revenue Code. Page last modified: 13 Jan 2024 . Page URL: